Will I be Fat and 40

Tuesday 25 November 2008

ENT appointement results

ok ok i've not blogged in a while, in fact it's been bloody ages and today's blog has really been prompted by my trip to ENT.

This all started in September when i had a rather nasty viral ear infection which affected my balance and started a humming in my ears. Well it's not gone away so my Dr referred me to ENT where i went to today. There i had a hearing test and then went into see the consultant and after lots of prodding and poking in my ears and lots of wiggling of my jaw he said that my jaw hinge is in such a position that it pushes on my tubes by my ears which help them drain etc which doesn't help when i’m trying to get rid of a viral infection. Nothing they can do about that as they can’t reposition my jaw hinge!. However i do have a nasal spray to help with the swelling so that the pipework can open up a bit more than it is as these are swollen internally and therefore causing more blockages.

The major bad news is that i’m also losing my hearing in both ears and again there is nothing they can do about that. I will need hearing aids in the next 10 years but it could be in 2 or could be in 10 years. There is no way of telling how much scar tissue is going to build up over what period of time. It's a bit of a bummer when your only 38.

One good thing though. If i want to i can ignore someone and have a proven excuse pmsl

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I'm really sorry to hear your news. What you have to remember is that ENT is alot of guesswork (because ear canals are so tiny) and they may not be right about you needing hearing aids, or if they are, 10 years is a long time for medical advances don't you think?

I'm glad they have given you something to help your immediate problem though. That is always a good start.